The brain structure (1) and functions arose as a result of evolution, making a flexible, versatile and quick responding organ.
However, in humans, an intensely working brain consumes a quarter (!) of the resources of the whole organism.
The problem also lies in the fact that the brain never rests; even during resting, it consumes 10% of the body’s energy, while making up only 2% of its mass.
In addition, the body is simply not able to maintain the intensive brain work for a long time, after some time, nervous exhaustion inevitably occurs.
In addition, the brain, deprived of the necessary resources (oxygen first), almost instantly (within 5 minutes) dies.
Here is a breakdown of brain structure and function of each region:
Frontal Lobe (2) – smell, concentration and thinking, problem-solving, behavior, personality and mood, and voluntary movement
Brocas Area (3) – speech control
Motor Cortex (4) – control of voluntary movement
Sensory Cortex (5) – pain, heat and other skin sensations
Parietal Lobe (6) – sensations, language, perceptions, body awareness, attention
Temporal Lobe – hearing
Occipital Lobe (7) – vision, perception
Wernicke’s area (8) – language comprehension
Cerebellum (9) – coordination of movement, balance, posture
Brainstem (10) – swallowing, breathing, heartbeat, wakefulness center and other involuntary functions
Temporal lobe -intellectual and emotional functions (hearing, language, memory)
Our brain is an amazing, not fully studied, unique for each person key organ of knowledge and perception of the world.
Despite the small volume and weight, the brain controls the human body.
It is dynamic, sensitive to the slightest influence, able to restore neural connections and to sensitively react to the “system failure”, astonishingly restoring its performance …
Brain cells are interconnected inexplicably tightly and flexibly, they sensitively and energetically react to many different factors.
But, unfortunately, the “failures” do not go away without a trace, the potential of the system is not unlimited, with time its performance and ability to recover decrease, which leads to a breakdown of cognitive functions.
The brain needs a caring attitude: it needs rest, good blood supply, “food” and “exercise”.
If you know how to improve brain function and prevent your brain from going into a “hibernate state” to save energy, then it is quite possible not only to improve its performance but also to significantly increase the intellect.
Cognitive load, nutrition, alcohol and exercise affect not only our body and appearance, but also the brain.
The first thing to remember is that the brain, like the whole body, is constantly in need of nutrition (11).
The list of products that improve brain function is quite simple:
- Grains and wholegrain products. Bran, wheat germ and other cereals are an excellent source of vitamins B6 and B12. Create a good habit of eating oatmeal or other grain in the morning, and your memory will become much better.
- Nuts, seeds, eggs and leafy vegetables. It is proved that these products are an excellent source of vitamin E.Adding them to your meals, you improve not only memory, but also vision. You can also add sage to your diet because it has proven itself as an assistant in improving memory.
- Blueberries and black currant. Like the products listed above, blueberries improve vision. Also, it is a good helper for people suffering from temporary memory loss. Black currant, in turn, is an excellent source of vitamin C.
- Fish. If you eat fish 3 times a week, you will never be afraid of Alzheimer’s disease. In addition to omega-3 acids, important for the nervous system, fish contain a large amount of iodine necessary for the brain.
- Broccoli. Doctors do not accidentally advise to begin feeding children with broccoli. This variety of cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin K, improves brain function and its cognitive function.
- Apples. This fruit is one of the most valuable products that improve brain function. Apples are a source of enrichment of brain vessels and reduce their blockage. In order to prevent such terrible consequences as hemorrhage in the brain, it is enough to eat a quarter of an apple a day.Supplements.There are many to choose from, so choose wisely and do your research. When you use supplements that improve brain function, do not forget to exercise it. You can solve crosswords, puzzles, just think or activate the memorization process.Remember, the brain must perform some actions, otherwise supplements that improve brain function will be useless.
Complete exercises below to enhance the functions of memory, an important brain function.
- Habit change. One easy way to do this is changing the functions of the right and left hands. So, if the right-handed person is used to combing, writing, brushing his teeth or opening the door with his right hand, then one must “reassign” these functions to his left hand, and vice versa.
- Development of the senses. The memorization occurs best at the intersection of three processes: multiple repetitions, associative thinking, creating a vivid impression. The more sense organs involved in conveying the impression to the brain, the fuller, more diverse and brighter it is. Therefore, some exercises are aimed at developing the ability to look, listen, remember tactile sensations, smells. Researchers recommend including all the senses when memorizing.F or example, practice an exercise called “Guess the next phrase.”A person, looking at the speaker (or the hero of the film), by the look, facial expression and other similar features must predict the content of the next phrase.Here, non-standard techniques that increase the emotional response, linking actions are welcomed.
For example, to memorize a poem or a list, you can beat the rhythm with your fingers on the table.
According to neuroscientist, the learning process is easier this way.
You can raise an emotional response by feeling the warm sunshine on your face or hearing pleasant sounds in the background.
- Synchronization of the hemispheres. In one of the exercises, it is proposed to march at a fast pace on the spot, simultaneously touching the raised left knee with the right hand and vice versa. The pace must be kept fast enough so that the hand has time to rise above the head when the knee is unbent. The free hand is kept raised.
- Telling a detailed story. To perform this exercise, you need to write a documentary story about a summer vacation or any event in your life. The narrative should not be so much long as detailed. In the story, it is necessary to describe in detail the surrounding, the trajectory of movement of the “characters”, their appearance, the dialogue of the characters with the actual phrases said and stylistic features. An alternative to this exercise can be called a diary, where you will comprehensively describe the most important event of the day, or a dream book, in which dreams are recorded in detail.
Studies have shown that regular exercise helps to improve cognitive brain functions (attention, memory, language, visual-spatial perception) of people who have had memory impairments.
When we walk, run or dance, a growth factor is released in the brain, which contributes to the survival of neurons and the establishment of connections between them.
It supports memory and allows you to learn new things.
People who do not drink alcohol at all have 22% less chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those who regularly consume excessive amounts of alcohol.
These results are published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Scientists have long been saying that learning languages has an almost miraculous effect on the brain.
American researchers argue that employees who know a foreign language cope better with intellectual tasks.
Bilingual people are much better at focusing on important information and ignoring irrelevant data.
They set priorities more efficiently and can successfully work on more than one project at a time.
Research by other groups of scientists has shown that knowing and learning a foreign language helps to protect the brain from aging.
In older people who speak foreign languages, the brain works better than those who speak only their native language.
The likelihood of Alzheimer’s disease and other senile memory problems is also significantly lower.
When studying the new alphabet, the visual and auditory perception is rebuilt, through articulation the control over the muscles is increased, the connections between the brain sections are activated.
We all know that learning something new is valuable, and language is a complex skill, it uses all possible brain systems.
Use medications with caution – some sedatives, painkillers, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic drugs can cause temporary loss of memory and concentration.
People who do not sleep regularly, that is, sleep less than the recommended 7-8 hours at night, have lower rates when completing tests for the evaluation of mental functions.
Our body requires a certain number of regular hours of sleep, for example, for the completeness and effectiveness of memorization.
During sleep, new neural connections appear, and the neural network is strengthened, which is necessary for the formation of memory.
Strong social connections can be just as important and useful as physical activity and healthy eating.
Constant communication is an active mental activity, in particular concentration of attention and memory stimulation, and this improves cognitive functions.
Communication with people helps to strengthen neural networks and slows down their weakening in the process of aging.
In addition to proper nutrition and supplements, there are plenty of ways to improve brain function.
Involve the whole body – exercise allows you to activate the entire body and the brain as well. Try to rest more.
Sleep allows your brain to process memories and transfer them to long-term memory much faster and thinking after some rest is done much better and easier.
And do not forget – your posture also affects the process of thinking. Straight back – the guarantee of mental and brain health.
Finally, do not attempt to load yourself and your brain immediately and repeatedly.
Engage your brain in new activities with pleasure, in small portions, with interruptions and take good care of it.